Targeted Investment Grants 2023
The purpose of the TI grants is to strengthen promising applications for resubmission. Proposals that have previously been submitted and scored by external funding organizations will be eligible to apply.
Applications Currently Under Review
The UVA Brain Institute offers a targeted investment (TI) funding program for neuroscience-related research projects that have been submitted to external funding organizations within the last 12-months and have been scored but not funded. The purpose of the program is to strengthen groundbreaking proposals by providing support to address reviewer criticisms and improve the likelihood of success during resubmission. Proposed projects may be on any subject related to neuroscience from basic science to clinical-translational research. Faculty from across the University are invited to apply; each faculty member is limited to 1 submission per cycle.
Successful proposals will have high potential for scientific impact and a high likelihood of achieving extramural funding within 2 years of receiving this award. Awards of up to $20,000 will be given for the duration of one year; there will be no option for no-cost extensions or fund roll-overs. Cost sharing is encouraged. Faculty who are not currently receiving funding from the Brain Institute and proposals that align with the Grand Challenges Research Investments in Brain and Neuroscience thematic areas may be prioritized.
No written reviews will be provided.
The deadline to submit applications was November 15, 2023 11:59 pm EST.
Anticipated Project Start Date will be December 2023 - January 2024
- Project Description (1 page) should include the following:
- Title of project
- Date of previous submission and name of extramural funding organization
- Response to review (1 page)
- Impact of funds (1 page)
- How the TI funds will address the critiques and strengthen the project for resubmission
- Anticipated timeline to resubmit
- Budget (1 page)
- Detailed budget, including costs categorized as personnel and OTPS (equipment, supplies, travel, other). This will be used for account set up and central fiscal oversight if awarded. Please provide a brief justification of the requested budget.
- Faculty salaries are not permitted.
- Other Support
- Provide a list of funding sources, amounts, and timelines
- Copy of Submitted Grant and Entire Summary Statement
Criteria for Evaluation Include:
- Scientific merit – Significance, Innovation, Approach
- Potential for scientific impact and future external funding
- Potential impact that the Targeted Investment will have on this project and the PI’s lab
Proposal Submission Format:
Assemble proposal components 1-5 as a single PDF file titled: “Lastname_Firstname_2023BRAIN_TIGrant.pdf”
The previously submitted grant and the review will be uploaded as a separate attachment (component 6).
Upload your application via our online application form.